Allentown Morning Call – Washington, D.C.
DC correspondent, June 2014 to present
• Covering federal politics, policy and the Lehigh Valley’s congressional delegation.
Orange County Register – Sacramento, Calif.
Staff writer, November 2013 to June 2014
• Running one-person state capitol bureau focused on dozen-member Orange County delegation.
• Beat includes Gov. Jerry Brown’s re-election bid, state’s response to historic drought conditions, decades-long battle over prison conditions, California’s $107-billion budget.
Associated Press – Sacramento, Calif.
Staff writer, February 2013 to October 2013
• Tracked state Assembly action on driver’s license program for undocumented immigrants; minimum-wage increase; assistance to Sacramento Kings ownership seeking to build a new arena.
• Used public records to show plastic bag recycling program has little oversight or effect on recycling.
• Filed immediate briefs to the state wire. Updated with full details swiftly to meet early deadlines.
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette – Harrisburg, Pa.
Harrisburg bureau chief, February 2012 to February 2013
Staff reporter, March 2011 to February 2012
• As bureau chief, coordinated coverage of governor’s administration and General Assembly. Also part of team covering Penn State/Jerry Sandusky scandal.
• Focused on Marcellus Shale gas drilling issues: three-year legislative debate over updating state oversight and enacting tax on industry; lawsuit from local governments against new drilling law; approval of lucrative tax breaks to land Shell processing plant.
• Also wrote about annual budget process, statewide political campaigns. Chronicled two criminal trials involving current/former lawmakers, including one who battled unsuccessfully to remain on ballot.
• Contributed to newspaper’s blogs on politics and on natural gas drilling, including posting energy-related headlines each morning. Used Twitter for publicizing stories, live coverage, posting photos.
Capitolwire.com – Harrisburg, Pa.
Staff reporter, January 2009 – March 2011
• Wrote breaking-news and analysis pieces daily at niche political site with 10,000 subscribers.
• Tracked GOP candidates in the 2010 gubernatorial race; led coverage as gas-drilling boom began.
• Helped compile, edit morning newsletter. Launched, maintained Twitter account. Edited articles by co-workers while writing own stories on deadline.
Previously interned with the Chicago Tribune’s Washington Bureau (fall 2008); The Indianapolis Star (Winter 2007, Summer 2008); The Birmingham, Ala., News (Summer 2007); and The Reading, Pa., Eagle (Summer 2006).
Medill School of Journalism, Northwestern University – Evanston, Ill.
Graduated in 2008 with a B.S. in journalism, double major in political science
• Managing editor, various reporting beats; The Daily Northwestern, September 2004 – March 2008
• Investigative reporter, The Medill Innocence Project, Spring 2008
• Part of Post-Gazette gas-drilling reporting team to receive Scripps Howard environmental reporting award (2011), Online News Association award (2011), Pa. Newspaper Association award (2012) for Pipeline, the paper’s blog on natural gas drilling.
• Pennsylvania Legislative Correspondents Association, board member (2009-2013)
— Coordinated annual summer internship program; created group’s website
• Member of the Sacramento Press Club
• Proficient with blogging and social networking interfaces, including WordPress, Twitter, Facebook
• Familiar with Microsoft Excel tools to analyze data, such as pivot tables
• Comfortable using iPhone to take photos, videos; basic knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Apple iMovie
Available upon request